Sunday, March 31, 2013

New Experiences - 45 day checkpoint

Approximately 45 days after my birthday commitment to experiencing at least one new thing, each day, every day, for the next 365 days, I'm still at it.  Frankly, I'm a little amazed - it certainly hasn't been easy - I've only missed one day due to illness.  It's been fantastic!   Primarily, it forced me to think about things in new ways, often racking my brain to come up with that day's particular adventure.   Made me really explore possibilities in ways I've never thought of before.  There's only so many different types of foods you can try, so many different stores you can explore, so many different types of tourist attractions you can attend before you have to start thinking about new in new ways.

One of the most interesting things I'm finding is the overwhelming amount of suggestions I've gotten once folks learn of what I'm doing.  Several have even decided to try the same thing.   We're sharing our experiences as we go!    From all those great suggestions, I started a list of "things to do" - it's now several pages long.  I've learned about hidden places, activities and ideas of things I never would have thought on my own or even knew about.   A great example of that is the Japanese Friendship Garden in Phoenix (thank you, Mike Calhoun!), a Japanese facial massage, learning to play Tibetan singing bowls and seeing the rock man on along the side of I-17 on the way to Phoenix (thanks to Josh, the ever observant shuttle driver!).

I've also pushed myself to try new things.  Bellydance classes are the first thing that come to mind!  Yes, really -  envision Lucille Ball in a hip scarf and finger cymbals, but it's a ton of fun!  I'm deepening connections in several different ways:  I've discovered new places and met new people that have interesting things to share.  I'm reconnecting with people from my past in new ways and changing the way I think about and interact with the people currently in my life.   Deepening real connections and letting go of negative attachments.   Changing my relationship to my self.   Expanding my creativity into new directions (digital art!), deepening spiritually and discovering new historical things, just to name a few. 

 It's been a hell of a month and a half and I can hardly wait to see how the year will end up.

Sure, it'll be tough to keep this up for the whole year, and I might even have to allow the new experience of forgiving myself for not being perfect by missing a day here and there, but in honoring the commitment to myself to keep seeking that sense of wonder, that, in turn, reinforces a belief in possibilities, in hope, I'm learning about myself and what I'm capable of - and it's starting to make realize the infinite possibilities of discovery just around the bend.....bring it on...and stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment